The Boston Beer Company sure knows how to get our attention....
In what we see as a sure sign that summer's nearing, the craft beer 12-pack samplers are starting to arrive. It used to be that these 12-packs were uninspired compilations of a brewer's core offerings-nothing more-but all that's changed! Summer 12-packs have gotten a whole lot more interesting and increasingly adventuresome. Flying Dog's been doing some really cool things of late and Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp series is always awesome. We just received a press release from our friends at Samuel Adams and they've got a new sampler coming out that sounds fun.
Welcome to Hop-ology...
Hop-ology is their new Limited Release IPA variety 12-Pack. The pack includes five limited release and Brewmaster IPAs, plus a new brew, Samuel Adams Grumpy Monk.
Grumpy Monk is a Belgian IPA that clocks in at 5.7% ABV, 55 IBUs– It was inspired by the Belgian ales brewed by monks, and takes the signature spicy clove and fruit flavors of Belgian yeast and combines them with the piney and citrusy hop character of an IPA. Grumpy Monk is available exclusively as part of the IPA Hop-ology pack.
In addition to Grumpy Monk, the pack also includes a whole range of IPAs that give drinkers a wide variety of "takes" on this much loved beer style. Here's how the folks at Samuel Adams explain them:
• Third Voyage (Double IPA, 8.0% ABV, 85 IBUs) — Bright and intense with a vivid hop punch, this brew was inspired by Captain James Cook whose treacherous third voyage took him from England to New Zealand to the Pacific Northwest. Cascade hops from each of these regions create a brew that's citrusy, earthy and full of bold character. [Originally brewed as part of their limited release series]
• Dark Depths (Baltic IPA, 7.6% ABV, 60 IBUs) — This style builds from the transformation of an English porter from a mild ale to a dark and complex lager that confounds definition. Immersed in dark, roasted malts and a bold citrus hop character, these big and contrasting flavors are brought together with the smoothness of a lager for a brew that's rugged, mysterious, and full of flavor. [Originally brewed as part of their limited release series]
• Tasman Red (Red IPA, 6.75% ABV, 60 IBUs) — Rounded and smooth with a dry hop finish, this wily brew's grapefruit, pine and earthy notes come from its Tasmanian hops. The hops are balanced by a smooth roastiness with hints of toffee to create a full and rich body. [Originally brewed as part of their limited release series]
• Latitude 48 IPA (6.0% ABV, 60 IBUs) — A blend of five different hops, Hallertau Mittelfrueh, East Kent Goldings, Ahtanum™, Simcoe® and Zeus, from regions all falling within the 48th latitude line – prime hop-growing territory– impart an intense hop base for this subtly sweet and malty IPA.
• Whitewater IPA (5.8% ABV, 60 IBUs)—A fusion of two beer styles, this unique and flavorful brew combines the crisp white wheat, sweet citrus, and spicy coriander of a Belgian-style white ale with the big hoppiness and grapefruit notes of an IPA, bringing this beer's aroma, body and taste to a new bold level.
On shelves mid-May, the Samuel Adams IPA Hop-ology Variety 12-Pack is available nationwide for a limited time.